Sunday 17th November saw the annual Gosport Half Marathon starting along Browndown Road, near to Bay House School, Gosport. A total of 1,700 runners circumnavigated the former HMS Daedaelus Airfield – not once but twice before being buffeted along the sea front at Lee on Solent for 2 miles before heading inland for the home straight along Portsmouth Road towards the finish.
The race has a reputation for delivering personal bests as it is flat as a dab; however, offshore sea breezes can always put pay just before runners turn inland for the final mile and a half. Romsey finishers were:- Christopher Stocks 1.40.06, Joanna Weguelin 1.48.13, Alison Soloman 2.02.33, June Bromyard 2.13.07, Lisa Ashdown 2.13.23 and Wendy Yelland 2.17.24.
Christopher Stocks also saw action on the 5th November, completing a 5km parkrun in 21.14 to secure a personal best.
Finally, Romsey Runners turned out in force at a social event on Friday 15th November at the annual awards evening, held at Ampfield Golf Club. Prizes and accolades were haled upon those displaying determination, talent and commitment to the club and fellow runners. Food, fun and a decent amount of dancing also took place.
- Lynda Brown – Ladies’ Pentathlon
- Hannah White – Romsey Road Runner of the Year
- Di Cross – Veterans’ Pentathlon
- Liz Slade – Chairman’s Award
- Christopher Brown – Winter Cross Country
- Paul Bradley – presented with a tankard, he is standing down after 6 years as the club chairman
- Wayne Windebank – Men’s Pentathlon
- Derek Jennings (on behalf of Neil Jennings) – Sally Sillence Trophy
- Tamatha Ryan – Ladies’ RR10
- Matt Hammerton – Men’s RR10